4/17/2011

Breaking into the house without breaking anything

Today, my Taiwanese Mon had a 3-hour class for junior-high kids. It was a parent day, so she prepared lots of things for it, i.e., the students' achievement board, tea sets, some snacks, materials for a game, flowers for the parents.
We left our home 8a.m for a high school where the classes are to be held.


We arrived there at 8:30a.m., set everything out in the room. 


The room was for physics. I found words of wisdom posted on the wall.   


Good words...This reminds me of why I have come here to Canada. I hope I could see I made a right decesion soon.


The kids were good at Chinese. My Taiwanese mom says, one kid whose father is Canadian and mother is Taiwanese has come to speak Chinese after 5 years' studying there(only once a week, though). She couldn't speak Chinese at all. She was making a fluent speech in Chinese in the class. Good job!



Since the Saturday school is provided by a Buddhist community, they were raising funds by selling Chinese vegetarian foods. It seems people around the world really care about us.  




After the class, we went to "Pacific Mall" in the north of Toronto. 
Now I realized, I should not have gotten excited at the Chinese supermarket.




The mall was huge, and all the stores were Asian. Wherever you see around, it is all Asia! Oh my god!! When I said, "Great China power!", my Taiwanese Mon said, "No, it's Taiwanese and Cantonese Power!" They write not simplified-Chinese characters but old Chinese Characters...I see, you are right.

We spent 2 hours there. We were exhausted. On the way home, we were saying how long today had been...how much we miss our home...and that we would just have a simple dinner and relax watching TV...

When we arrived home, we were like "Yay!! Home!!"  It was around 6p.m.
...but she didn't have the key to the house!
"Where is the key? You have the key?"  she said.
"What do you mean?? I don't have the key!"  

Father is out for work till the morning!

"Oh, my god!"

My mom lent me her key the other day, I gave it back to her right after I got back, leaving it on the place she always places her key.  Since she hasn't needed to use it 'cause somebody was always home, and since she was in a hurry for work this morning, she didn't take the key today!!

We found some windows unlocked, so I tried to break into the house from the window, climbing up onto a green garbage cart. I hoped no one in the neighborhood would call the police. I came here for a non-criminal record!!

The screen window wouldn't slide, so we gave up breaking in.
She visited a neighbor and used their phone to call for a key smith.
The key smith said it is gonna be $120 + tax!! 
I said, "Let me pay the half! Let's split! I will pay!" then I checked my cash, there was only $40...she said, "It is not even half! No thanks!! :-P"

In 20 mins, the guy came. He said, he needs to break it. My mother didn't want that, so he came back. He didn't do his best at all. But good thing, he didn't charge us at all. Okay...

We went back to the neighbor's house. My Taiwanese mom tried to reach her husband working at the Toronto Pearson Airport, she didn't have his number in her bag (they don't have cell phones).  She called the information desk there, but they didn't trust her. 
We were gonna go to the airport anyway to knock his door for the key since I know where his office is.

Then the 19-year-old daughter there suggested the way to break into the house without breaking anything. She did herself when her parents were out.
Okay let's do it!

It took a while, like half an hour, then she could make a kitty hole on the screen window!! We got in!! Yeah!!! 

She was really nice. She saved our life because mom didn't want to let father know that she had forgot the key to have the trouble to get into the house.

We set everything back as if nothing had happened. No trace left. 
We finally could relax... it was 8 p.m.  

We had dinner around 9p.m.

Salad, Fried rice noodles from the fund raising society, Chinese pancakes, papaya.

We also had soup.

We both appreciated that we were in the house, having a meal with a hot soup.


We won't forget the key again, but we now know how to get into the house when it happens. Experiences are golden.



No comments:

Post a Comment