4/22/2011

Work out my way

[Re-edited on the plane]

Oh, God, I am already bored. We left home at 4:30a.m., seeing my Taiwanese mom off around 6:00, waiting for 2.5 hours until my check-in time at 9:00a.m., and I am now at a café near my gate, which is supposed to open at 11:35a.m. Five-six hours have already passed. However, I heard some story from my Taiwanese parents on this way so now I update my blog before getting on board soon.

The story is about the time when they came to Canada 22 years ago, how they worked out their way to settle there. For the first two years, they couldn’t get a decent job. Since they had 3 little daughters they absolutely needed regular income. My Taiwanese mom started to work as a part-time teacher, also attending a high school with her daughter, handling all the household chores, and going to an unemployment office once a week to find a job for her husband. Her husband had to have some degree taken in Canada in order to get hired; he started to go to college. He studied there for 1 year, working at a bakery at night for 2 years. While she was commuting to the unemployment office regularly, one man there came to take care of them, always prepared with some possible job vacancies appropriate for him. He now works at the Pearson airport in Toronto, but the whole process of selection lasted for 5 months to be completed. They advised me, “To start, you’ve got to do any job and find a good one later.”

Listening to how they have made the way is always learning. I want my husband to find a job soon and work hard, and I am also excited to work in the States challenging myself like my Taiwanese mother. I realized whether English is the second language or not doesn’t matter to survive thanks to her. I will just learn more vocabularies, find a job and work hard there as I did in Japan. Being with her encourages me and inspires me.

This feeling was reinforced all the more because I read blogs by Japanese females who write about their international marriage life. I referred to one blog at “A “successful” survivor for Japanese girls,” but mostly other blogs at the top ranks in the genre are also basically boasts about their lives overseas with their foreign husbands and cute “half” babies. They might just want to show their lives to their families or friends, but I don’t understand why their titles have to be like this:

“My husband is a Korean younger than me!”   
(Okay, you are happy with his age and being Korean),
“My international marriage life with a French guy in New Zealand”
(You are proud that your husband is French. It is a good country, isn’t it?)
“My second marriage life with the Roberts in real-estate business”
(Okay, you could marry to a rich guy from a wealthy family
despite the fact that you had been a divorcee.)

…and the pictures of their top pages are often from their weddings…

Why do they have to specify what nationality their husbands’ are in the titles?

I wish their husbands could read what they write in their blogs…but I don’t know… They might not feel anything. It is true that some foreigners take advantage of such another type of “racism” and just feel comfortable. However, I would kill myself if my husband wrote a blog entitled “My wife is Japanese.” Oh disgusting…writing this even makes me sick… 

I have to say I am different from them. I blog NOT just because I married to an American guy or living overseas or intend to make my name through it like them BUT because I can clarify my thoughts through writing. I will work out my new life, teaming up with my husband like my Taiwanese parents. That’s my focus. I am just more than happy if I could share my perspectives and experiences with my husband, my family and friends, and someone I don’t know at a neutral standpoint through my blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment